What Does a Chimney Sweep Do?
To many, chimney sweeping may seem like an outdated occupation. Most people think chimney sweeps were only important when fireplaces were the main source of heat, and for the most part, are irrelevant today. What you may not realize is that chimney sweeping is just as vital today as it was 100 years ago- and in some ways it may be even more vital.
Chimney Sweeps Take Care of More Than Your Fireplace
When you think of a chimney, you may immediately think of it connected to a fireplace. But while fireplaces do have chimneys, almost every house has a functional chimney whether they have a fireplace or not.
Most household’s primary heating system is connected to a chimney. In the past, fireplaces were the most common main source of heat. Today it’s appliances like furnaces and boilers that heat most American households.
The chimney and venting system of any appliance serves the important function of taking the exhaust created by it out of your home. This includes substances like soot and dangerous gases like carbon monoxide. Over time, soot, ash, and other substances will build up in the chimney and restrict its airflow. In order to prevent this, it’s important to have your chimney regularly cleaned by a chimney sweep. Restricted airflow can prevent the chimney from doing its job and put your household in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Not only does the buildup of substances in your chimney restrict its airflow, but those substances themselves can be harmful. One example is creosote, which is highly flammable and dangerous to have in your chimney. It’s the number one cause of chimney fires, which are fires that start in your chimney and can spread throughout your house. They can be loud and explosive or quiet and easy to miss, and always cause severe structural damage to your chimney. It’s important to have a chimney sweep regularly clean out creosote to take care of the problem before you have to spend thousands of dollars on repairs.
The Term “Chimney Sweep” Can be Misleading
Despite their title, a chimney sweep keeps more than just chimneys clean, efficient, and safe. They do the same for dryers, which are also connected to a vent system. Even if you clean the lint trap in your dryer after every use, lint will slowly start to build up in your dryer vent. As with a chimney, having a dirty dryer vent makes the appliance less efficient. When you have a clogged dryer vent, you may notice your dryer is taking longer and longer to properly dry your clothes. But worse than making your dryer inefficient, clogged dryer vents are a fire hazard, causing hundreds of house fires each year.
Vents and chimneys are extremely important to your home and are often connected to your most essential appliances. Keeping them in good condition is a vital part of keeping your home well-maintained and your household safe, but you need the help of a chimney sweep to do so.
Looking for a good chimney sweep? Consider working with All Star Chimney Sweeps. You can contact us by completing the form below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Providing industry-leading service is our top priority as a chimney sweep and fireplace professionals. Our goal is to build loyalty and trust with those we serve. That’s why our first-class teams are considerate and careful, making sure to protect your property and belongings. We want to accommodate you, and we’ll make sure to be in communication with you about any last-minute schedule changes. Our teams are comprised of the sharpest individuals who exemplify what it means to be a true chimney sweep and fireplace professional. Servicing Destin, Pensacola, Lynn Haven, Crestview, Tallahassee, Birmingham, Lake Charles, Biloxi, and more for over 30 years!