Creosote Removal

If you have used your chimney to any degree, chances are that it has creosote deposits in its lining. Let us help remove them to protect your family from accidental poisoning, chimney fires and to enhance your overall safety.

What is Creosote?

When wood or fuels are burned in your fireplace or appliance they don’t burn completely. The unburned particles leftover from your fire travel up your chimney and condense as they cool. As the unburned particles condense with the water and other substances in your chimney, they become a residue that sits on your chimney walls, which is called creosote. If the airflow of your chimney is constricted, then more particles from your fire go unburned and the tougher the creosote it that builds. Since creosote itself coats your chimney and restricts the airflow, creosote in your chimney makes more of it build faster.

Creosote forms in three stages. It begins as a loose flaky substance. At this stage it contains a high percentage of soot and is easy to wipe away. First stage creosote builds when your chimneys airflow is not constricted. Second stage creosote has more hard, shiny black fakes that contain tar, and is the result of a chimney with a more constricted airflow. At the third stage the creosote becomes much more hardened and is extremely difficult to remove. At this stage it resembles tar running down your chimney. It hardens and can become recoated by more creosote, and so can form a very thick layer.

The Danger of Creosote

The first problem with creosote is that, like the buildup of any substances in your chimney, it restricts your chimney’s airflow. A restricted airflow not only leads to tougher creosote, but prevents it from doing its job. In order to enjoy a fire safely, smoke and gases need to be able to leave your home through the chimney. If the airflow is restricted, smoke and gas like carbon monoxide can stay in your home and put your household in danger

Not only does it restrict the airflow, but creosote itself is also a harmful substance to your chimney. It can corrode and damage the chimney walls if it’s left uncleaned too long. It also is an extremely flammable substance, especially at its third stage. Also, it can ignite and start a fire in your chimney. This both damages your chimney and may spread to the rest of your home.